Thursday, May 10, 2012

Date Puree

 I use date puree as a sugar substitution when I want to make a healthier version of some of my quick breads such as whole wheat carrot cake, whole wheat sweet potato and zucchini bread.  I'll stir it into my kids' oatmeal in place of other sweeteners, add it to smoothies, spread it on peanut butter sandwiches instead of jam or honey.

I make a big batch of this to store in containers in the freezer.  When frozen it is still pliable enough to scoop and spread.

To make it: place your pitted dates and a cinnamon stick (optional) into a sauce pan, filling it with water about 3/4 way up the dates.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes and keep covered.  Let cool (this is so you don't burn yourself while blending).

Remove cinnamon stick if using.  Puree with an immersion blender, blender, or food processor until smooth.

Pour into freezer-proof containers.  This will last about 3 months in the freezer or 1 week in the refrigerator.

No comments: