Saturday, December 12, 2009

Our Chanukah Table

For our first night of Chanukah we had spice rubbed brisket with rootbeer BBQ sauce, mixed green salad (of course), black rice, a giant latke, cranberry applesauce, cured salmon remoulade, and olive oil muffins.
While searching for some Chanukah-themed recipes (olive oil) to try out I came across this one that I thought looked interesting. I like that the olive oil flavor comes through in a nice way and the balsamic added a nice element as well.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons whole milk (or water for non-dairy)
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Powdered sugar, for sifting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.

Blend together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer beat the sugar, eggs, and zests in a large bowl until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the vinegar and milk (or water). Gradually beat in the oil. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Crush the almonds with your hands as you add them to the batter and stir until mixed. Fill the muffin tin almost to the top of the paper liners. Bake until golden on top and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove the muffins onto a platter and let cool for 5 more minutes. Sift powdered sugar over the muffins and serve.

*****

I thought I would try taking the latke recipe I made last year and turn it into one big giant one by browning the mixture in my cast iron skillet for 15 minutes on each side on medium low and then baking at 400 for 20 minutes. The traditional way I did it last year was much better. But hey, it was worth a try! It still wasn't bad.

To top the latkes, I made cranberry applesauce and cured salmon remoulade.

*****

Cured Salmon Remoulade

2 oz cured or lightly smoked Wild salmon slices-diced small
2 T. capers
¼ cup chopped red onion
2 T. prepared horseradish
1 T. fresh lemon juice
3 T. flat leaf parsley-chopped
¾ cup mayonnaise
dash of hot sauce (optional)

1. Mix all of the above ingredients in a small bowl. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Store covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

*****

Cranberry Applesauce

5 apples (I prefer Jonathan apples), cored and cut into large chunks with skin on
1 cup of fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 Tablespoon vanilla

Shred apples and cranberries in food processor or blender. Combine all ingredients in a covered pot to simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.

1 comment:

marlenekohn said...

I would love to have you in my neighbourhood and be able to taste your menu!!!!Your big latke does look wonderfull but..... it is the miracle of lasting oil!!!You have to indulge !!!!!